Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

40 Days of Blogging Day 9: Sabbath



Ah, the Sabbath -
An hour of nagging, followed by
Two hours of standing, followed by
An hour of forced fellowship, followed by
Ah - the Post-Liturgical Nap!
The rest made for man
To rest from his resting.
I have sworn, yea, I have sworn
And I will not repent:
My children shall not enter my rest.

If you think work is hard,
Try resting in the arms of God;
His idea of rest is
"My yoke is easy and my burden light."
Load-sharing is not lazing,
Wresting is not resting,
No one ever kneed a nap,
And I need a nap.

I think we rest so well after Liturgy
Because we've got ourselves together-
It's hard to rest when one is
Pulled by every wind,
But once all are one together
Then one can prostrate.
Science can't tell us why we sleep-
That is the purview of religion:
I will lay me down in peace and sleep
For only you, Lord, keep me safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment